Tuesday, March 23, 2010

School and the uneventful weekend

"Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid". -John Wayne

I really enjoy this quote, and am using it as inspiration to not make life any harder.

All is well over here in the UA of E. I've heard about the controversy in the states, sorry guys. Good luck with all of that, and I'll deal with it when I'm back in May.

School has picked up as of recent, causing us (the students of Drilling & Measurements ENG-1) to relax more on the weekends instead of traveling or going on exotic safaris. We are primarily studying MWD (Measuring While Drilling) tools right now, the foundation for our division. These tools are the ones that transmit real-time data up the mud column to the surface, and provide us measurements that let us know where we are underground once we deviate from a vertical hole.

This weekend consisted of going to the beach and starting to make the trek to Al Ain (Old Abu Dhabi). We didn't realize it was farther away from Abu Dhabi than Dubai, and promptly turned the cabs around and headed home. I didn't know that in the 60's they moved Abu Dhabi from Al Ain (where it had been for hundreds of years) to its current island.

I also tried pigeon last night; fried and grilled. Interesting taste, a mix between duck and chicken. I most likely will not be trying it again, but that would top the most bizarre foods I have tried on this trip.

Keep in touch,

Russell

1 comment:

  1. so glad to get an update - we're still here checking on you so don't stop writing. I start the Shell Houston Open on Friday, so probably won't get to check much for 9 days, but I'll get caught up on my return to normalcy. LOVE the pics!! Thanks! Auntie M

    ReplyDelete