Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Uh oh, an actual update!

Well hey there readers,
How are you today? I'm still on the slope; finishing up my third week since my arrival on the 18th of May.

The slope landscape has been changing drastically since I've been up here. When I arrived, snow still covered everything in creation up here. However, each day more of it melts. How much? I drove to work one day and looked over what I thought to be a barren field covered in snow. However, whilst driving back to the rig camp at the conclusion of my shift, the snow had melted enough to reveal a sizable river. Yes, an actual river.

Various ponds, wetlands, and topographical formations are now visible, emerging from the blanket of snow that covered them all. There are quite a few birds that enjoy this, as well as caribou and muskox.

Many have asked what a muskox is, and to them I say: a hairy cow. They move slow, eat all day, and love to lay down on roads at the worst times. During the rig crews change-out, a herd of muskox decided to cross the road. We thought this to be a temporary situation, until several of them laid down. We, oilfield workers, are not allowed to disturb the wildlife in any way, fashion, or form. When a duck crosses the road, all trucks stop at a distance and let the duck meander around until it finally flies off. The same is true with muskox, and bears. Yes, when a bear is on the pad or near people you can't disturb it. The only time one may disturb wildlife is if it is in self-defense or defense of another person; even then there is a possible fine to be paid.

No comments:

Post a Comment